Fire Department Battles Hay And Cornstalk Fire


(Le Mars) — The Le Mars Fire Department responded to a hay and cornstalk bale fire Saturday evening.  At about 7:00 p.m. fire officials were called to the far northwest corner of coverage at 29704 100th Street, past Struble, approximately 12 miles from Le Mars.  Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the fire department had to battle both the fire and the snow storm.

Listen to
{audio} images/stories/mp3/February 2015/Schipper1.mp3{/audio}

(photo contributed)

Schipper believes ashes from a nearby burn pit may be responsible for the blaze.

Listen to
{audio} images/stories/mp3/February 2015/Schipper2.MP3{/audio}

Schipper says approximately 30 tons of hay and cornstalks were lost as a result of the fire.

Listen to
{audio} images/stories/mp3/February 2015/Schipper3.MP3{/audio}

Fire officials were on the scene for approximately three hours. While fighting the hay and cornstalk fire, Le Mars Fire officials were called to a second alarm.  A residence in Le Mars had reported the microwave had caught on fire.

Listen to
{audio} images/stories/mp3/February 2015/Schipper4.MP3{/audio}