Orange City Home Catches On Fire


(Orange City) — Firefighters from four communities responded to a house fire reported Saturday evening shortly after 10:00 p.m. The fire was at 505 Zuider Zee Drive S.E. in Orange City. According to Orange City Fire Chief, Denny Vander Wel, the fire was strange and unique. He says there was extensive smoke
damage inside the home, but at the time of arrival, there were no flames visible.

Firefighters indicated several items of furniture and fixtures had been burnt, or had melted. Firefighters say the family was fortunate not to have arrived home at the time of the fire, as it would have produced a back-draft effect.
Vander Wel says a small electrical extension cord is the likely cause of the fire.

The Orange City fire chief says the interior of the home is totally destroyed. He says the house is no longer able to be lived in.

Alton, Sioux Center and Le Mars Fire Departments were called for mutual aid.  The Orange City Ambulance and the Orange City Police also responded to the scene.