Home News Saturday Afternoon News, March 31st

Saturday Afternoon News, March 31st


Hundreds of Children Attend Annual Easter Egg Hunt

(Le Mars) — A blast of the horn, and the sound of the siren from a Le Mars Fire Department Truck, marked the start of the annual Easter Egg Hunt. Hundreds of children attacked Cleveland Park, and within a few minutes had cleared the area of some 10,000 plastic eggs filled with candy. The weather conditions made for a cold and windy morning for the annual Easter egg hunt, but all the children didn’t seem to mind as they filled their baskets with the eggs. Several children also had their photo taken with the Easter bunny. The annual event was sponsored in part by Primebank and The Education Station.



Wells Family To Construct Wedding and Events Center

(Le Mars) — With the goal in mind to make Le Mars a destination, Mike and Cheryl Wells recently acquired some land, located north of Le Mars, to construct an events center. Cheryl Wells first made the announcement at a recent Chamber coffee. Wells talks about her goals.

Wells says it has been a dream of hers and husband Mike for several years to have an events center.

Wells says the location will be ideal for Le Mars, Sioux Center, and Orange City. She says the event center will go hand-in-hand with their wedding cake business.

Cheryl Wells says the new events center will serve as another destination for Le Mars.

She says specific plans for the new events center have not yet been drawn up.



Old Painting Found In Attic Could Be Worth Millions of Dollars

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – A painting found in the dusty attic of Des Moines’ historic Hoyt Sherman Place has turned out to be a big deal.
Television station KCCI reports that the painting, “Apollo and Venus” by late 16th Century and early 17th Century Belgium painter Otto van Veen, is believed to be worth millions of dollars.
Someone found the 400-year-old painting about two years ago while looking for Civil War flags.
Officials say the painting was coated with layers of discolored varnish and poor restoration work from decades ago.
Art experts spent four months returning the painting to its pristine appearance.