Discarded Cigarette Causes Fire Damage To Le Mars Home
(Le Mars) — Firefighters responded to a house fire on Tuesday afternoon located at 120 3rd Avenue southwest in Le Mars. The alarm came in at approximately 5:25 p.m. When firefighters had arrived on scene they had noticed some of the home’s siding had melted. Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.
Apparently, a cigarette was placed in a plastic planter’s pot, which had melted the plastic pot. The pot was setting on a table, located on the front porch, close to the outside wall of the house, which had ignited part of the siding, along with the plastic faux window shutter. Damage was limited to a few pieces of the siding. Firefighters were at the scene less than 15 minutes. Also responding to the scene were the Le Mars Police Department and
the Iowa State Patrol.
Plymouth County Extension To Celebrate 100th Anniversary
(Le Mars) — During the Plymouth County Board of Supervisors meeting held on Tuesday, the county governing board approved a proclamation indicating the benefits of the Plymouth County Extension and Outreach Services. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach educational programs cover the entire life span, from Iowa’s youngest to oldest residents. More than 1 million people directly benefit from ISU Extension and Outreach educational programs each year. Extension education online reaches more than 4 million.
ISU Extension and Outreach is part of the federal Cooperative Extension Service — a network of more than 100 land-grant institutions, including Iowa State University, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture serving communities and counties across the United States. Every county in Iowa has an elected
extension council that decides how to support ISU Extension and Outreach educational programs at the county level.
Plymouth County Board of Supervisors stand with Plymouth County Extension officials as they proclaimed and acknowledged the benefits of the Extension and Outreach Services. Standing from left to right, Plymouth County Auditor, Stacey Feldman; Supervisor Craig Anderson; Supervisor John Meis; Supervisor Chairman Don Kass; ISU Extension of Plymouth County Program Co-coordinator Janelle Johnson; ISU Extension of Plymouth County Co-coordinator Ann Schoenrock; Plymouth County Extension Council Member Alex Popken; Supervisor Mark Loutsch; and Supervisor Gary Horton.
Janelle Johnson, Program Coordinator, says this year Plymouth County is celebrating 100 years of organized county extension work. This long- established partnership with Iowa State University provides local citizens with access to education and university research.
Johnson says, “ISU Extension and Outreach provides education and builds partnerships for a strong Iowa and a strong Plymouth County.”
ISU Extension and Outreach Plymouth County will be celebrating on Sunday, September 23rd at the Plymouth County Museum in Le Mars. There will be an open house from 1:00-4:00 p.m. with a program at 2:00 p.m. All are welcome to attend and help celebrate 100 years.
“A hundred years ago the people of Plymouth County joined the extension movement and hired their first local extension agent. Today ISU Extension and Outreach serves as a 99 county campus, connecting the needs of Iowans with Iowa State University research and resources.”
Le Mars Pickle Ball Courts Now Open
(Le Mars) — The city of Le Mars formally introduced yesterday the new Pickle Ball courts located adjacent to the tennis courts at the Municipal Golf Course. Although the four new courts have been completed for a few weeks, a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Tuesday to officially welcome the sport to Le Mars. Pickle Ball has been growing in popularity within the past couple
of years, especially in Le Mars. Several retired people, who enjoyed playing tennis, but are not as mobile, say they enjoy the sport of Pickle Ball. The game is similar to tennis, but on a much smaller court. The ball that is used is a whiffel ball, nearly the same size of a tennis ball, and the paddles are similar to table tennis or ping pong, but slightly larger. Like ping pong paddles, Pickle Ball paddles utilize a hard surface, instead of the
mesh-woven surface found on tennis rackets. The center net is the same height as a tennis court net, and similar in looks, but shorter in length.
Explosion At Polaris Manufacturing Plant Sends Employee To Hospital
(Spirit Lake) — An employee was injured in a fire at a Spirit Lake motorcycle plant Monday night. Spirit Lake Fire Chief Pat Daly says the initial call — about an explosion at the Polaris Industries plant — came in around 9:30 p.m.
Officials say the employees had been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived. Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours. Investigators haven’t yet determined the exact cause of the explosion.
A spokesman for the company that owns the plant says the injured employee was treated and released from a local hospital. About 500 people work at the Polaris Industries Plant in Spirit Lake where “Indian” motorcycles are assembled.
Area Red Cross Officials Dispatched To The Carolinas For Hurricane Florence
(Sioux City) — Several area Red Cross volunteers have headed east in preparation for potential impacts of Hurricane Florence.
Twelve Red Cross disaster workers were deployed to North Carolina and South Carolina on Monday and several more left for Virginia Tuesday.
The Iowa Region of the American Red Cross is deploying volunteers, vehicles and supplies to the east coast as that area prepares for the arrival of the hurricane.
States of emergency have been declared in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
Chain Reaction Accident Occurs Near Sanborn
(Spencer) — There was a chain-reaction accident involving half a dozen vehicles on Highway 18 in northwest Iowa Monday morning.
The Iowa State Patrol reports 68-year-old Robert Bringle of Spirit Lake failed to slow down or stop his van as he approached a group of vehicles that WERE stopped for road construction on the east edge of Sanborn. Bringle’s van hit a minivan. The minivan struck a pick-up. Authorities say a total of six vehicles were involved in the wreck, which is still under investigation.
Reynolds Declares Iowa County As Disaster Area
(Des Moines) — Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds has issued a state disaster declaration for another county.
The governor approved the disaster proclamation for Iowa County for storms on August 28th. The governor’s proclamation allows state resources to be used to help local and county governments recover from storms. It also lets residents
of the county apply for Individual Assistance Grants that are based on income and can be used to help pay for items lost in the storms or flooding. Those grants range up to five-thousand dollars. The governor has now issued state disaster proclamations for 41 of the state’s 99 counties so far this year.
Des Moines Woman Charged With Child Endangerment After Children Were Photographed Being Bound
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – A Des Moines woman is accused of binding her children by the hands or feet to keep them under control.
Polk County court records say 38-year-old Jessica Henderson is
charged with child endangerment. The records don’t list an attorney who can comment on Henderson’s behalf. Her next court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 22.
School officials contacted police last month about a photograph taken in March that shows the children tied up on the floor. Authorities haven’t said who took the photograph.
Police Sgt. Paul Parizek (puh-REE’-zihk) says the children aged 9, 5 and 4 years were taken to a hospital but had suffered no significant injuries.
Henderson told Des Moines station KCCI that a friend of hers bound the children when she was in another room.
UNI Releases Name Of Killed Pipe Fitter Maintenance Employee
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) – University of Northern Iowa officials have released the name of an employee killed this week in a steam pipe leak.
The Courier reports that 61-year-old Kevin Bley, a 10-year-old
steamfitter at the university, died Monday morning after the incident in a dining hall.
Aaron Clingingsmith, interim director of university relations, says
Bley was injured as he was testing the steam distribution service, which heats the water for the dining service. Bley says the system was being brought back online, when the accident happened.
The dining hall had been closed since Sept. 4 because of a prior
steam leak. No one else was injured.