Firefighters Battle Another Structure Fire

457

(Le Mars) — The Le Mars Fire and Rescue Department was called to another house fire Monday afternoon. The fire was reported at about 4:13 p.m. at 208 6th Street Southwest. This was the second residential structure fire within the last three days. According to Fire Chief Dave Schipper, the fire started in the kitchen area of the home. The owner of the house arrived
home to find his kitchen was on fire.

Firefighters found the dog lying in the living room and had inhaled a great deal of smoke. The dog was near death when firefighters rescued the dog and brought it outside and started giving the dog some oxygen.

The fire was able to be confined to the kitchen area, but Schipper says the home is inhabitable.

Schipper explains how the fire started.

Firefighters were on the scene for nearly one and a half hours.