Heat Lamp Starts Rural Ireton Home On Fire

374

(Craig) — A faulty heat lamp is to blame for starting a house on fire Saturday night at a farm approximately a mile and a half east of Craig. The fire was reported at about 7:50 p.m. on county road C-12. Ireton Fire Department and the Le Mars Fire and Rescue Department responded to the house fire. Le Mars
Fire Chief Dave Schipper was the first to arrive on the scene. He says the family discovered the fire just prior to going to bed.

Schipper says the 9-1-1 call went to both Ireton and Le Mars at the same time.

Damage was confined mostly to the back outside wall and deck area.

The Le Mars Fire Chief explains how the heat lamp may have started the evening blaze.

Schipper tells of the strategy and tactics used by Ireton and Le Mars Fire Departments to combat the fire.

The family was able to escape the fire without any injuries. Schipper says the home will be able to be repaired. No estimate was given to the extent of damage done to the house. Firefighters were on the scene for approximately an hour and
45 minutes. Plymouth County Sheriff’s office and Ireton Ambulance also responded to the scene.