Home News Fire causes minimal damage

Fire causes minimal damage


(LE MARS)–Damage was minimal after an apartment fire in Le Mars  this (Sunday) morning.

Le Mars Fire-Rescue Chief David Schipper reports fire fighters were called to 1111 Second Avenue Southeast at 5:20 a.m.for an apartment fire where there was heavy smoke visible. Several residents of the Royal Park Apartments, formerly Bonebrake Hall, reported the fire. The building is owned by Terry Messelhiser, according to the chief’s report.

Firefighters determined the fire was in apartment 13 rented by Dorcas Kamau. The cause of the fire was accidental and was due to food left cooking on the stove.

The occupant of the apartment, who was not the renter, was checked by the Le Mars Ambulance crew.

Damage to the apartment was minimal and all occupants were allowed to stay in the building. Fire fighters removed smoke from the third floor of the building and the apartment.

Fire fighters were assisted by Le Mars Police and Ambulance and the Plymouth County Sheriff’s Office.